Monday, December 23, 2013

Life Lessons from Spain

I learned so much during my time in Barcelona.  I cannot explain in words how grateful I am for this experience.  I got to experience a new culture, a new school system, got to spend time with a wonderful family and get closer to my WKU friends.  Four years ago, I would have never believed you if you told me that I would spend a month in Spain.  This experience is something I will never forget and will always hold dear in my heart.  I have another family in Barcelona and I plan to return soon.  There were definitely tears shed as I said goodbye to the people who I was so dependent on for a month.  Naroa kept giving me sad eyes and hugs! Jordi tried to get on the elevator and said he was coming to Kentucky with me! :) Ane walked me to the school the morning I left and we kept giving each other one last hug! There were tears rolling down both of our faces.  Some tears were from laughing so hard at all my heavy suitcases! ;) But I truly cannot thank Jordi, Ane, Jordi and Naroa enough for allowing me to be a part of their family.  They all mean so much to me!




With that being said, there were a lot of things that I learned while in Barcelona and the other parts of Europe that I was lucky enough to visit.  I'll share some of them with you in hopes that you can learn a little bit too :)

- If you want to get off the metro, always press the green button on the door.  Don't stand there staring at it.  The train will drive off, you will miss your stop and you will be laughed at.  (Whoops! :))

- You can never eat too much gelato. Never.

- No matter what language they speak, every kid loves a hug.

- When you travel, you find out a lot about the city you're in, cultures and traditions but also you learn a lot about yourself.

- Don't ask a Parisian if they speak English in English.  Just don't.

- But ALWAYS ask for the English menu or you might end up with raw beef!

- The Mona Lisa is actually very small. Slightly disappointing.

- The pasta really is better in Italy.  And the pizza.  And the cheese.  And the wine.  And the gelato.

- A friendship becomes stronger when you travel together.

- Knowing more than one language can be so beneficial to your life.  I truly wish I knew more than just English.

- On that note, it must be incredibly hard for people who come to America that don't know English.

-  Regardless of languages, hearts are the same.  Everyone smiles, kisses, hugs and laughs in the same language.  Bonds that you make abroad are bonds that you will have forever.

- I have left part of my heart in Barcelona with a very special family.

That ends my Barcelona blog.  It's been great and I can't wait to return to this amazing city.  I've got the travel bug and it's not going away anytime soon! I want to see as much of this world as I can. So until next time, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment